HYGIENE & SAFETY PROCEDURES
NSW Health regulations and code of best practice state the following:
• The therapist must wash her hands before and after each treatment;
• Wear single use gloves during all waxing treatments, to be disposed of immediately after treatment (vinyl or latex);
• The area to be treated must be cleansed before all waxing treatments;
• Disposable spatulas must be used and only dipped once into the wax pot;
• Wax used for hair removal on a client must be disposed of immediately and not reused or recycled;
• Clean linen, garments or towels should be used for each client
• Work area and equipment must be wiped over using a hospital grade disinfectant.
• All non disposable implements must be sterilized (tweezers, scissors);
• Client consultation: discuss with your client exactly how much hair they would like removed, e.g, landing strip, shaping, full hair removal. Ensure this is clear before commencing treatment and record this information on the appropriate client file;
• Contraindications: always check prior to proceeding with treatment. The addendum to these notes provide a suggested checklist for display in the treatment room. Ensure you clients are aware of any conditions that may affect the treatment.
• Client comfort: for both the client and the therapist it is best to provide the client with a disposable elasticized G-String. Hygiene wipes should also be offered. We recommend the use of a G-string not only for the modesty of the client, but equally as importantly, it enables the therapist to support and stretch the area being waxed and minimises direct contact with the genital area;
• Cleanliness: Wash & dry hands, put on disposable gloves and apply pre-wax cleanser to the area. This will remove surface bacteria, perspiration and moisture residue;
• Clipping: Check the length of hair and if necessary, trim the area with safety scissors and/or electric clippers. This will result is a more comfortable treatment for the client, less wax being used and a better result;
• Apply pre-waxing oil to the entire area to be waxed. Pre waxing oil can be re-applied throughout the treatment if necessary. Remember, pre-waxing oil enables the wax to grip the hair and not the skin. It also improves elasticity of the wax and minimizes wax breakage.
Hot wax removes hair that is 1 mm long and often shorter. Strip wax can be used for brazilian waxing, however, the “stripping” technique can be more traumatic for the client and can also result in skin being lifted or hair breakage. It is for these reasons we endorse hot waxing only for brazilian waxing.
• Work from the outside area inwards and from the bottom upwards.
• Apply the wax using firm pressure in the direction of hair growth and continue the application in a figure 8 motion. Ensure the hairs are scraped firmly into the wax especially if hair growth is short, stubborn or has been shaved. It is important not to tentatively “paint” the wax onto the area as this will result in the wax not adhering to the skin surface and hair breakage and skin bruising will occur.
• Extend the wax patch onto the surrounding hair free skin; this will provide a lifting edge on hair free skin, which helps remove the wax more comfortably; The extended wax itself becomes a “handle” where the wax patch is lifted off without having to “flick” the wax on the hairy parts.
• Brazilian waxing treatments commence with the standard bikini figure of 4 waxing position before moving on to the genital area. If it is comfortable for your client, ask her to bend her other leg out so you can work on both sides at the same time. This will speed up the treatment.
• If required, ask client to hold her knee bent backwards towards the chest. The other leg is straight and flat. This position pulls skin taut and allows you to reach hairs towards the buttocks.
• Care is required with application in the area above the lip fold join, as three directions of hair growth meet here. Ensure each growth area is waxed separately. Note: if you are unsure which direction to apply the wax, we recommend application in the “majority rule” direction, i.e. the direction most of the hair appears to be growing in. Any remaining hair can then be removed with another application.
• For hair removal around the buttocks we recommend placing your client into the “recovery” position, i.e. lying on their side, top knee is bent towards the chest, bottom leg is straight and horizontal along the couch. Client then lifts the buttock cheek moving the G-string away enabling you to apply wax to the appropriate area. Do not apply wax to the sensitive membrane surrounding the anus.
• Wherever possible, skin should be supported either side of wax patch. This may require both therapist and client holding the skin. If the skin is not taut, bruising can easily occur;
• Removal action should be swift and confident and may require some physical strength. This technique will significantly minimise client discomfort. Hair growth in this area, particularly if the client has never waxed before can be strong and stubborn;
• While providing support to the skin, if your hands are slipping due to oil on the skin or your gloves, use a tissue to assist keeping the skin taut. Remember, the tighter the skin, the more comfortable the treatment will be and subsequently you will obtain a better result;
• Patches of wax can sometimes break “mid-pull” due to the strength of hair or incorrect application of wax (too thin, uneven thickness). Do not attempt to pick off wax and continue removal of broken patch. Use the “handle” from the other end and pull in opposite direction.
• If a patch of wax is remaining on the skin due to drying or breakage, apply more wax over the top, ensure both patches meld together, then remove.
• Our aim in performing a Brazilian wax is to achieve hair free results quickly and with minimal client discomfort. Work with confidence and do not act tentatively, as this will cause the client to feel uneasy and nervous.
• Tweeze any remaining hairs;
• Apply a combination of soothing gel (we recommend aloe vera) and after waxing lotion to the entire area;
• Depending on skin heat and reaction, a cold compress may need to be applied.
• If you think it is necessary, you can ask the client if they would like to inspect the waxed area. If the client’s expectations of the treatment have not been met, perhaps they wanted more hair removed, invite them to discuss this with you prior to finishing the treatment.
HOME CARE AND MAINTENANCE
• Advise your client to treat area gently for 24 hours, for example, no strenuous exercise, tight clothing, heat treatments, e.g. sauna, steam room, jacuzzi or sun tanning;
• Use a mild antiseptic wash for 2-3 days if they have a tendency to break out;
• Advise client they may experience some itchiness when hairs are growing. This can be minimised with moisturizers and gentle exfoliation;
• Educate your client to use an exfoliant to prevent ingrown hairs. Preparations are available to minimise and treat ingrowns.
• Regular waxing will reduce regrowth considerably. We encourage you to re-book your client’s next appointment before they leave.
• Re-waxing the area normally is done every 3 – 4 weeks, however, regrowth may diminish after several treatments
Please advise your operator if you have any of the following conditions, as these may affect your treatment
• Cuts & Abrasions
• Broken Bones
• Recent scar tissue (under 6 months)
• Skin disorders, eg: eczema
• Skin diseases (please consult with operator)
• Unchecked lesions
• Medication, i.e. roaccutane/retin A
• Known medical conditions
Australian Waxing Company was founded in 1990 by Janine Akkad. After having spent over 15 years working in England, France & Dubai, Janine wanted to introduce to the beauty industry a unique and unbiased service that specialized in hair removal products and waxing training services. Following demand and encouragement from our customers, we gradually added to our product lines and today we offer and support a comprehensive range of quality beauty products.
Being a specialized supplier, we carefully test and evaluate the brands we promote, including Adam & Eve, Arbre, Caron, Lycon & Roll On waxes. Our Company’s flagship brand is Bareskin, which has evolved over years of industry collaboration. Bareskin has become our #1 seller and continues to be the preferred choice of professionals.
Our team of qualified beauty therapist professionals provide outstanding customer service and our understanding and knowledge of waxes and beauty supplies is arguably the best in the industry. Our despatch team ensures dependable and efficient delivery of orders – all this at very competitive prices!
Click here for more information waxing NYC at Proper Puss.
We also conduct personalized training courses and workshops. These classes are tailored to small groups and are taught by our internationally accredited teacher. A variety of products and brands are used during our classes, enabling our students to make informed choices.